Orange Cream turned out perfectly, the Rosemary-Mint natural clay colorant batch was also a success, then a restock of a past favorite, Caribbean Sands was done and it was a win, so I guess the only thing left to do now that's really new is to throw in a Salt Bar batch. I've done that only once before but I'm embarrassed to say it's been years and I hoarded them to myself. It was a very small batch, to be honest since it was a first run, you didn't miss much!
I have the recipe for the bars, the fragrance, the color and a lovely Himalayan Pink Salt in a fine grind texture, so I'm ready to go as soon as time permits. I'm really looking forward to making these and there will be several different shapes since I only buy one of each type of silicon mold (mainly because they're pricey!) so there will be a variety of shapes to choose from and the batch size will allow several of each design. It will be fun making these again and hope you'll enjoy trying them out if you're a fan of Salt Bars. BTW, the scent is another beauty one I used last year in a standard bar called Charleston.
Many soapers have made goat milk soap. In fact, for some that's all they make. Specialists in the field of goat milk soap. We all have our little niches. Mine is actually the making of boozy bars, but loving a challenge and trying something new is just too much temptation for me to not jump right in and try it. After all, it can't be such a big deal since I've been making coconut milk soaps for 7 out of the 9 years I've been soapmaking.
Learning about what NOT to do before hand is pure gold, so over the years I've read every post, watched every YouTube video I could prior to making my first ever batch so now I know what to expect. Still cold process soapmaking being what it is - a gremlin-riddled beast with a stone cold heart when we try fancy and end up with soap on a stick, don't look for cooperation when it's needed most.
Some soapers say not to try more than one new thing at a time, but well, hey I've never followed rules, so why start now. Right? So this batch is not only my first with goat milk but also my first with a new fragrance not tested prior to this patch. It also is my first colored entirely with natural clays. If you're gonna go, go all out, so I went for it.
I did read the reviews for this particular FO, Rosemary Mint from Nature's Garden. The majority of users stated this one was a bit faint. Some said it disappeared completely and were disappointed in the FO because of its lack of sticking power. Because of this, I chose to add some of the FO to the clays used for colorants to (hopefully) anchor it. Time will tell if it worked. Or not.
The clays used were White Kaolin clay and French Green clay which are readily found in many suppliers across the net. I have my own personal preferences for suppliers and generally stick with them for most of my soap making needs. One such is MadMicas for their stellar testing, sorting of various types of colorants for different application viability & reliability. Their customer service is second to none, too. That counts big with me. Currently they do not have White Kaolin Clay, but it can be found elsewhere. They do have Titanium Dioxide if you want a truly white white. But they do have green, rose, and red clays that can be used if you wish to make a soap like today's batch.
The goat milk was added to the coconut milk, blended very well into the oils prior to adding the lye solution. The lye, by the way, always includes bamboo silk which is strained during the pour. I also added a bit of sodium lactate to firm the bars just a smidge plus boosting the bubbles. The milks will also lend some superfatting as well as rendering an incredible creaminess that only milk soaps can provide. The clay amount was not exactly measure but it was around 1 full teaspoon for the white Kaolin and about 1/2 tsp for the French green. This was a small batch of 2 lbs in a loaf mold and 4 decorative 'Sunflower" soaps from a silicone mold.
After the lye was added to the oils & milks, a good stick blending was done to just past emulsion phase and approaching light trace. It was not quite like a pudding at this point. The portion for the green was poured into a separate pitcher and the rest had the white Kaolin + fragrance added, then stick blended again. Clays can be a bit reluctant to smooth out. I still might see a few speckles, but hopefully only a few if any. The green clay was also stick blended into its portion lightly.
The white was poured into the mold then the green poured from varying heights, swirled with a long straw with a spoon on the end. I think those were supposed to be milkshake spoons, but they're perfect for swirling soap because of the nice handy length! The top was textured and into the fridge it went.
Due to the sugar content most milks have, the loaf mold was placed in the fridge to chill to prevent gel stage. I prefer to avoid gel as it can sometimes only reach a partial and aesthetically, I don't like the bullseye effect in the bars it can often result in.
Tomorrow the soap should be ready for cutting so we'll see what it looks like inside with the subtle tones that clays impart in soap. What I'm really looking forward to is trying it out once it's cured enough for testing. That's the real test that truly matters most. I'll do a follow-up on the results of the tests when the time comes.
Hi and welcome to the Bubble Hut! I'm Neecy, aka Dee (Denise) Gunter. I'm the solo maker of Neecy's Necessities, which has been around since 2010. I'm a certified advanced soap maker and member of Hand Crafted Soap and Cosmetics Guild. I'm an adventurous soap maker, frequently trying new things to make things even better yet I know when to stop when it's just fine as is. Follow along while I work in the Bubble Lab in Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest.